Let’s get technical
Isn’t there a philosophy based on the whole “no idea is original” concept? Mark Twain said it too. Everything we come up with or create seems to be an accumulation of all the information we’ve subconsciously collected over the course of our life, whether it’s a painting, a book or any other form of art. Here’s some nursing assignment help for you which may help with future research on the topic.
Primary research, however, claims to be original. It is a way of methodically collecting data that is entirely new, data that isn’t already present or has been collected. It does not stem from already done research, rather is independent of any previous work that may have been done on the topic. Primary researchers technically “own” the data which they collect.
Data authenticity matters! It is one of the most important things for any organization these days; everyone tries to make sure their data is from a trustworthy source so that they can ensure that important, well-informed decisions can be made based on it. Businesses can conduct these interviews themselves or hire an outsider to do the job for them. This research is very specific and targeted towards a specific topic which makes it very helpful.
Interviews are a very commonly used research method which requires dialogue between two parties. The data collected from these interactions is very raw and is usually first-hand information, which is why this is one of the oldest, most popular and most authentic research methods to this day. Interviews are mainly of two types
- Face to face interviews: while they do generate a better response, the success depends on the interactive ability of both parties involved. Miscommunication and lack of proper articulation would fail you in any kind of interview. This research method is qualitative
- Make sure it doesn’t last longer than it needs to. 30-45 minutes should be more than enough for you to collect all the information you need in a properly planned interview.
No, it’s not a group study session
A group of about 6-10 people can be brought together to discuss a specific topic in order to obtain information. These selected individuals will be experts in the topic being researched on. It’s particularly helpful when organizations and businesses want to learn about a specific group of consumers. Such groups have moderators who stimulate discussions on topics on which different perspectives are needed. The experts will discuss topics based on what information the researchers are trying to find more about.
- Bring together a group of people that know a great deal about a specific topic. Sit them together and start a discussion on the topic to be researched. Different insights on the topic will broaden your research and give you different opinions to work with.
- Make sure there aren’t too many people or the discussion may start to feel more like an argument. Verify the qualifications of the people you include in the focus group so fact checking won’t have to be too thorough, thus saving you a lot of research time.
Look, don’t just see
Observations are another research method that involves no interaction between the two people involved. This is a research method that could really help students with research experiments as well; the following tips could help with your assignments. The researcher makes all their deductions based on observations. These observations are recorded in a decided setup to see how people will react to different things. For example, a clothing brand wants to see how people will react to its new collection. A bunch of trained observers or cameras will be used to record their initial reactions, after which, researchers will use the recorded data to come up with certain conclusions in relevance to the initial research topic.
- Research from observation is very effective but requires a lot more analysis and focus. Attentiveness and understanding body language and behaviors is very important in order to successfully gather research from this method, so the observers need to be very highly qualified.
- Set up a situation in a way that everything is perfectly calculated and will tell you exactly what you need to know. Try to anticipate the moves of your subjects.
Here’s what it’ll do for you
- The data collected through primary research is bound to be first-hand and thus there’s less of a need to do background checks and lack of authenticity. And since you’re conducting it on your own, it can be on your own terms, a perfect fit for the needs of your organization or business.
- It provides easier, quicker and more specific solutions to your problems. Since attention won’t be divided over several different issues and you can focus on one specific problem, problem solving efficiency is bound to increase.
- Your data is entirely under your control. You won’t be answerable to anyone for how it is used or what is done with it because you collected it yourself and thus, own it. Working in discretion becomes much easier when operating with primary research, which solves one of the greatest problems of the business world today.
- It is a very reliable research method due to the fact that it is time-tested. The results it will give can be trusted because of the thoroughness of this method, as well as the fact that it requires working on already decided specifications which were selected through intensive research.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Michael Young is a British poet and author. He loves to read old poetry and is a brilliant freelance Academic Consultant. He knows multiple languages, including German and Russian. He likes to write about his own poetry in his online blog where he posts thrice a week.